History of the Borough
To commemorate the Golden Jubilee of the reign of Queen Victoria (1887) Arima was declared a “Royal Borough” established by “ Royal Charter” on 01st August 1888. The Actual Charter of Incorporation was signed by the then Governor of Trinidad, Sir William Robinson and was issued by Queen Victoria. The Royal Borough of Arima was the only one of its kind in the colonial Caribbean.
The Charter specified the boundaries of the town, the powers of the council which would be responsible for its further development and maintenance aswell as the reviseed form of raising revenue. This new system of Town Government placed the emphasis on local democracy and therefore provided some independence from Central Government.
Today the Borough of Arima extends over an area of approximately four (4) square miles and has a popolation of over thirty-two thousand two hundred and seventy eight (32,278) persons (CSO Central Statistical Office Report 2000). It is a growing, modern, industrial municipality.
The Arima Corporation
The Charter of Incorporation of 1888 provided for a Council responsible for the local governing of the Borough of Arima. This Council consisted of a Mayor, seven Councillors, Auditors and a Town Clerk/Treasurer.
Today the Arima Corporation and all other municipalities fall under the jurisdiction of the Municipal Corporations Act 1990 (Act 21 of 1990) as amended. The Act provides that the Council should consist of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected from among the Aldermen and the Councillors.
The Corporation also includes a staff of Chief Officers and other Officers who together incorporate the Administrative Arm of the Corporation. The Chief Executive Officer heads this department. The Chief Officers and other Officers are appointed by the Government’s Statutory Authorities’ Service Commission. Together the Council and the Administrators manage the Arima Corporation. The Council is comprised of Various committees.