Head of Department¬†– Town Superintendent
Superintendent¬†– Engineering Assistant II
Contact No¬†– 667-3435 / 3508 – Ext. 23
This department is divided into different sections:
- Building Inspector
- Parks and Recreation
The Engineering Section
Ideally responsible for planning, executing, monitoring and maintaining quality control and quality assurance to all the infrastructural projects within the Borough of Arima for effective and efficient work operations.
The Building Inspector Section
Ideally responsible for certifying that all sites and structures to be developed and/or developed within the Borough of Arima conforms to the Arima Borough Corporation Building Codes and Practices and the Town and Country Planning Division Regulations.
The Parks and Recreation Section
Ideally responsible for the floral, hedge and lawn maintenance of twenty-five parks within the Borough of Arima, the Corporation‚Äôs Lawn Tennis Court, the Corporation‚Äôs Basketball Court, The Corporation‚Äôs Netball Court, The Larry Gomes Enclosure and the Arima Stadium.
The Workshop / Garage
Ideally responsible for servicing and maintaining all the vehicles of the Arima Borough Corporation, timely delivery of materials to work sites and dispatching of vehicles respectively.
The general intentions are to:
- Improve the quality of life in the community.
- Prevent abnormal flooding
- Prevent further erosion and damage to property
- Create a safer environment for the burgesses
- Provide and recruit community members with employment opportunities
- Alleviate the preponderance of infrastructural irritants
- Upgrade the exquisiteness and the quality of life in the Borough of Arima
- Provide additional facilities for the cultural sector in the Borough of Arima
- Incorporate in the plan for the vision 20 / 20
- Promote Arima as part of the transformation from a Borough to a City
- Alleviate the preponderance of irritable burgesses
Members of the public visit our office mainly for:
- Lodging complaints of various nature
- Building / Technical information / guidance
- Submitting building and development plans for approval
- Applying for construction permits
- Applying for completion certificates
- Application to demolish existing structures
- Applying for sub-division of lands
- Applying for excision / amalgamation of lands
- Inspection of buildings during construction
The Town Superintendent‚Äôs Department is further divided into sections dealing with land development, streets, parks and recreation grounds and transport/garage.
This section is managed by a Building Inspector II and assisted by a Building Inspector I.¬† Together these two (2) Inspectors monitor all forms of land development, which includes the numerous applications for the construction of residential commercial and public buildings.
With just two (2) Inspectors the Corporation endeavours to also control the legal and especially illegal additions and alterations and construction of buildings.
The construction and maintenance of roads are handled by a Works Supervisor II and four (4) Works Supervisors I.¬† It should be noted that streets include the whole or part of any road of any public bridge, land, footway, square, court, ally or passage whether a thorough fare or not and includes any side drains appurtenance thereto.¬† During the period of 2007 ‚Äď 2008 this section is expected to maintain by way of repairs over 6000m2 of road.
As a sub section of this Department the Parks and Recreation Department which is supervised by just one (1) Parks Foreman will also work on upgrading and maintaining more than thirty (30) Parks and Recreation Grounds inclusive of such prominent areas as the Arima Velodrome and the Larry Gomes Enclosure.
Transport and Garage:
With a small and ageing fleet of vehicles this section which is run by a Workshop Foreman will spend more than half a million dollars in an attempt to keep these twenty plus years old vehicles road worthy.
Requirements for obtaining Completion Certificates from the Arima Corporation
A copy of the building applications approved by the Arima Corporation & Town And Country Planning Division
- Construction permit issued by the Arima Borough Corporation
- Inspections done by Building Inspectors during construction
- layout of batter boards to determine correct setbacks
- reinforcement to foundations footing and ground beams prior to pour concrete
- reinforcement to floor slabs prior to concrete pour
- reinforcement to ring beams prior to concrete pour
- Completion Certificate from W.A.S.A (If building is in a sewered area)
- Five (5) plumbing fixtures operable if in unsewered area
- Kitchen, water closet, face basin, shower & yard/laundry
- Inspection Certification of Approval from Electrical Inspectorate
- Fire Approval (Fire Completion Certification) for multi family/commercial buildings
- Amended drawings if buildings is built contrary to the approved plans
- Fee for Completion Certification;
- Single Family Residential Building¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† $150.00
- Alteration/Addition(Single Family) ¬† ¬† ¬† $150.00
- Multi Family ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†$150.00 per unit
- Residential/Commercial ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†$300.00
- Commercial ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬†$500.00
- Industrial ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† $500.00
- Sub division ‚Äď Excision/Amalgamation¬† $100.00
Per lot for final approval
Requirements for the approval of Building and Development Plans by the Arima Borough Corporation.
The use of land for building purposes is not, however, subject to any distinction of locality as the Ordinances lay down that-‚ÄúNo owner of land, whosoever situated shall utilize such land for the erection of building or layout such land into building lots, without having obtained the approval in writing of the Local Health Authority.‚ÄĚ Section 36(1) Ch. 12. No. 4
The distinction between prescribe and non prescribe areas has therefore no relevance so far as the use of land for building purposes is concerned.¬† All lands being equally controlled for building purposes.
Such Plans Shall Show:
- Contours of land at such intervals as the Local Health Authority may require.
- The design and layout of the land showing the dimensions of the street and building lots.
- The line of building.
- The course of the proposed drainage or the proposed sanitary facilities.
- The nature of the soil, aspect, direction of prevailing winds and other prevailing facilities.
- The proposed water supply to the building lots.
- Such other particulars either on the plan itself or in a separate statement as may be required by the Local Health Authority.
There are two (2) kinds of approvals:-
- Provisional ‚Äď which gives the developer the permission to start the infrastructure works as per plan submitted.
- Final Approval ‚Äď when the developer has completed all the infrastructural works as per plan together with the Completion Certificates from the Advisory Agencies and to the satisfaction of the Local Authority.
¬†¬†¬†¬† NOTE:¬† Advisory Agencies
- W.A.S.A. ‚Äď Sewer System
- Drainage Department, Ministry of Works
- County Medical Officer of Health and Environment
- Highways Division ‚Äď Ministry of Works
A building application shall consist of Architectural and Structural Drawings and Specifications of the proposed building along with the prescribed forms.¬† At least two (2) copies of such building applications shall have the prior approval of the Town and Country Planning Division and of any other agency as may be required by the Local Authority.
Architectural and Structural Drawings and Specifications referred to above shall consist of the following:
- A location plan
- A block plan
- Floor plans
- Floor elevations
- Sections of sections
- Foundation plans
- Floor framing plans
- Roof framing plan
- Plumbing plan (if in a sewer area)
- Septic tank and soak away plan
- Structural details ‚Äď columns, beams, lintol, roof anchorage, cantilever, retaining wall, reinforced concrete floor slabs.
- Completed Local Authority forms Nos. 1. and¬† 2
- Completed water closet application forms No. 14
- The Local Authority may required any other particulars either on the plan itself or in a separate written statement.
All drawings must be to scale.
In accordance with the Municipal Corporation‚Äôs Act 1990.¬† The Town Superintendent‚Äôs Department is primarily charged with all survey, construction and engineering works within the jurisdiction or under the authority of the Corporation and with ensuring¬† that the public comply with the requirements of the bye-laws and regulations of the Corporation and any other written laws.¬† This Department is also responsible for the proper maintenance and upkeep of the Corporation‚Äôs buildings, plant and equipment and the construction and maintenance of drains and watercourses.